Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Western

Before the unit of Westerns I didn't really know about them. Obviously practically everyone has seen a Western, but I for one didn't really know what they were about. After watching Stagecoach I started to realize what a Western is all about. I thought that Stagecoach was interesting and clearly one of the greatest classics of all time. After that when we watched the revisionist Western Unforgiven, it finally hit me that Westerns weren't simply a cowboys shooting each other. The ingredients for a Western are indeed more complex and interesting than I previously thought. I thought Unforgiven was fabulous and summarized the greatness of Westerns. Lastly I watched The Wild Bunch a Western I watched on my own. After going through this unit I realized that it was one of the better movies made, and has one of the best shootout scenes in the history of action movies.

*********By the way it has a lot of gore*********

4 comments:

patrick said...

i also noticed the difference in the two film. Stagecoach was a typical western and Unforgiven was a twist on a western in which not all of the classic western themes were portrayed.

Hil said...

cool i totally agree with you. the genre is under rated just because it is something we have all heard of before. but we actually haven't analyzed or studied westerns in depth enough to realize how great they are. Westerns incorporate all apspects of good film and story with also a setting that is personal to Americans.

cjhinueber said...

Dovo,
i totally agree with you that the western genre doesn't get the credit it deserves. I had never really watched a western before this unit and i like it so much I have already watched one outside of class

Jared said...

Hi. I agree that Stagecoach and Unforgiven were both really good westerns, and that westerns are not simply coyboys just shooting each other. One thing you need to do though is explain (because you mentioned it) what you think Westerns are all about, and you also didn't elaborate on the "ingredients for a western".